Before you reserve a cabin, please read the Cabin Policies below to ensure you are aware of all responsibilities & liabilities. As of November 11, 2017, the Improper Checkout Policy will take effect. Please see the content below for further information.
Proper & Improper Checkout
All cabin rentals beginning November 17, 2017 and beyond will be subject to the new Improper Checkout Policy. The frequency of lost Cabin Keys and the failure to return completed Cabin Condition Reports have brought about this policy, after careful consideration by the Cabin Reservations Committee and the Cabin Coordinator. Cabin Keys must remain in circulation, so that the club can distribute the Cabin Key Packet two weeks in advance of each rental. Completed Cabin Condition Reports alert the club to problems with cabin condition and the overseers to cabin maintenance issues requiring immediate attention. For this reason, each renter will be required to return the Cabin Key and a completed Cabin Condition Report within two weeks of the date of departure. After that time, further instructions will be distributed. If you lose your Cabin Condition Report, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible. Full details are outlined below.
● You will receive confirmation when you have been properly checked out. Failure to abide by the guidelines established in the Improper Checkout Policy will result in a one-time, $25.00 Improper Checkout Fee. This does not include the cost of a lost Cabin Key, which varies by cabin. Multiple offenses will result in review of one’s rental privileges.
● Upon failure to return a Cabin Key and completed Cabin Condition Report, an email will be distributed. This email will caution: failure to return these items within the allotted four weeks from departure will result in Improper Checkout and a charge for the Cabin Key.
● Upon failure to return a completed Cabin Condition Report, an email will be distributed. This email will include a link to an Electronic Cabin Condition Report. Failure to complete and submit this report within the allotted four weeks from departure will result in Improper Checkout.
● On the date of departure, Dunlodge and Old Rag renters will receive an email with a link to the Electronic Cabin Condition Report. Failure to complete and submit this report within the allotted four weeks from departure will result in Improper Checkout.
● Failure to abide by the various regulations found in the Cabin Key Packet, including policy violations (from exceeding maximum cabin occupancy to failure to remove garbage from the cabin) could also result in Improper Checkout.
● Upon each instance of Improper Checkout, a demerit will be associated with your rental record. Multiple offenses will be reviewed by the Cabin Reservations Committee, and could lead to the suspension or termination of your rental privileges.
● Any requests for exceptions to this policy must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration and approval.
Standard versus Advanced Reservations
Standard reservations may be made up to sixty days before the first night of your stay. Reservations more than sixty days in advance fall under our Advanced Reservations rules. Advanced Reservations:
- require a three-night minimum
- are at twice the regular rental fee per night
- have special cancellation policies (see below)
PATC Volunteer Rental Privilege:
PATC volunteers in good standing may make one cabin reservation at standard rates per calendar year up to 67 days prior to the desired arrival date. To make the reservation, contact the Cabin Coordinator at (703) 242-0315, ext. 108. You must provide the date and description of your volunteer service and the name of the PATC member who supervised your work.
Renter of Record
The Renter of Record is the PATC member or individual in whose name the reservation is made. He or she is responsible for abiding by the rental policies and is responsible for the care and condition of the cabin during his or her stay. The Renter of Record must be 21 years of age & must stay with his/her party for the duration for the rental period. This person is responsible for ensuring that all members of the party abide by the rental policies. Reservations may not be made in the name of a group or organization. The Renter of Record must be an individual who takes responsibility for the care and condition of the cabin.
PATC Members Only Cabins
For PATC members only cabins, the Renter of Record must be a PATC member in-good-standing. Rental of a PATC members only cabin is one of the benefits of being a member of PATC and supporting its mission. The one-year PATC membership will be automatically charged to the Renter of Record at the time of a PATC members only cabin reservation if the renter of record is not a PATC member. The membership fee is non-refundable.
The Renter of Record may only make one cabin reservation for the same night(s). The rental night is from 3:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Renters may not arrive early or stay late.
Cabins and Property
Damage to PATC property will not be tolerated, regardless of whether the damage occurs to cabins, items within the cabin, or the surrounding area. Structures such as fences and old buildings should not be defaced or dismantled. Any accidental damage should be reported immediately to the PATC Cabin Coordinator at email@example.com upon your return. Any damage that may render the cabin uninhabitable or unsafe should be reported immediately to the overseer listed on the Cabin Direction Sheet.
• Maximum occupancy limits must be observed. Overflow camping is not permitted on property immediately surrounding PATC cabins & you may not exceed the cabin's capacity.
• Individual cabin-specific rules must be followed. Please carefully read any such rules, typically located in the kitchen area and/or with the cabin log book.
• There is no trash service. Paper waste may be burned, but all other waste must be carried out.
• The outhouse is for human waste and TP only.
• All items brought in must be taken out. “Donations” are not desired.
• Restrictions regarding pets must be strictly observed. Pets are not permitted in some PATC cabins. In cabins where they are permitted they must be kept off of bedding, including blankets and mattresses. Pets are not allowed at Blackburn Trail Center, Catoctin Hollow Lodge, Dunlodge, Highacre, Horwitz, Huntley, Old Rag, or Olive Green.
• Be respectful of nearby landowners. Please keep noise to a minimum and do not trespass on surrounding property. • Cutting of standing timber or removing limbs from standing trees or shrubs is strictly prohibited, regardless of whether the tree is dead or alive. No standing timber, whether dead or alive, may be cut in any area, especially Shenandoah National Park and US National Forests.
• Fires must be contained within approved structures (woodstoves, fireplaces, firepits, pre-existing fire rings, etc). New fire rings may not be constructed on PATC property. Outdoor fires are not permitted within the boundaries of Shenandoah National Park.
• Use of motorized vehicles is not permitted on any PATC property in areas off-limits or inaccessible to cars. All gates and/or signs must be respected. Motorized vehicles include, but are not limited to, automobiles, ATV’s, motorcycles and minibikes.
• The discharge of firearms on PATC property is prohibited. PATC also does not allow the use of any projectile-firing device (e.g. slingshot, bow-and-arrow, paintball gun) or explosives (e.g. fireworks) on Club property.
Cabin Key Return
The key and completed Cabin Condition Report are to be returned to PATC within one week of the day of your departure. Failure to return the key may result in a $25.00 non-refundable delinquent/lost key fee. Failure to return multiple keys may result in suspension of rental privilege and/or termination of membership.
Cancellation and Refund Policies
Advanced Rentals: 50% refund, less $10.00 processing fee, if canceled 15 days or more prior to arrival date. Within 14 days of arrival date, no refund.
- Full refund, less $10.00 processing fee, if reservation is cancelled 15 or more days prior to arrival date.
- 50% refund, less $10.00 processing fee, if reservation is cancelled 8 to 14 days prior to arrival date.
- No refund if reservation is cancelled within 7 days of arrival date.
We regret that we cannot provide refunds due to cancellations for personal emergencies or the inability to access the cabin due to road conditions except for Skyline Drive closures. (See Accessing Cabins - Cautions and Hazards).
A renter desiring to change a reservation either by moving the dates or renting fewer days must cancel the entire reservation and rebook. The cancellation must be initiated by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any refund will be guided by the rules above. Renters may want to make the new reservation, if the dates are open, without waiting for the cancellation since another person may rent those dates.
Renters may add days to the beginning or end of a rental period by calling the Cabin Reservation Desk or booking the additional day(s) through the online reservation system. If done online, please contact the office to ensure that only one key packet is sent for the multiple reservations.
All cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing by sending an email to: email@example.com. Be sure to reference the Reservation #. Refunds will be processed upon return receipt of the cabin key.
Waiver Of Fees: Reservation fees will only be waived at the discretion of the Cabin Reservations Committee.
Now, PROCEED TO RESERVE A CABIN